Print Topic - Archive

Minisink.org Genealogy Forum  /  Minisink Families  /  Newer Decker
Posted by: radecker, February 19, 2006, 3:48pm
My grandfather remembers that his grandfather was probably from Port Jervis. His grandfather, Lafayette Decker, would have been born no later than 1880, possibly in PA. I suspect that his father was Royal Decker, and before that, John Decker. However, these Deckers were peripatetic in the NY/NJ/PA/Minisink area from the bits of information I've been able to gather. I'm hoping to find a Decker connection from my newer generations back to the Minisink Deckers mentioned on the website. Kindof a long shot...

Rachel Decker
Posted by: tcarney, October 3, 2006, 6:17pm; Reply: 1
Long Shot or not, in my line I have a 3rd great grandfather, John Decker, b. October 15, 1805 in PA d. March 28, 1869 in Lehman Twp., Pike County, PA m. by 1832 to Sybil D. Akers, b. November 26, 1808 in Sterling (now Dreher) Twp., Wayne County, PA d. October 25, 1888 both buried in Paupack Cemetery, Palmyra Twp., Pike County, PA.
They had 4 children one being Royal T. Decker, b. October 2, 1834 in Tafton, Pike County, PA d. February 20, 1910 in Kimbles, Lackawaxan Twp., Pike County, PA. Married twice.
1st abt. 1858 to Maria J. (maiden name unknown) b. Abt. 1840 in PA d. between August 1874 and 1876. They had 6 children one being Lafayette H. Decker b.1867 in Lehman Twp., Pike County.
2nd marriage was in 1876 to Helen Jane Jaggers, b. June 9, 1854 in Dingman's Ferry, Delaware Twp., Pike County, PA d. October 31, 1918 in Matamoras, Westfall Twp., Pike County, PA they are buried in Mount Moriah Cemetery, Kimbles, Pike County, PA. They had 5 children of which I am descended down from their oldest, George Rowland Decker, b. September 8, 1878 in Milford, Pike County, PA d. April 18, 1930.
This Lafayette was in Lehman Twp., Pike County, PA in 1870; Milford, Pike County, PA in 1880; Newburgh, Orange County, NY in 1900-1910 and in Esopus Twp., Ulster County, NY in 1920. His occupation was stated as a Baker. There is a Port Jervis connection as he had a sister, an Aunt, cousins, niece and nephews who made their residence there and it is probable that he spent time there.
This John Decker is a stumbling block as I have not been able to determine his ancestry. I only have one other clue about him and that is a blurb from the History of Wayne, Pike and Monroe Counties Pennsylvania by Alfred Mathews which states “Sybil, another daughter of William Akers, married John Decker, who formerly kept tavern beyond Tafton, in Palmyra Township.”
Any help appreciated.

Tom Carney
Posted by: radecker, November 6, 2006, 2:20am; Reply: 2
It seems that we are probably distantly related! Family lore identifies Lafayette's mother as being a 'full-blooded chanango indian' and his father being a frenchman, although I've found no reference of that and a lot of indirect evidence pointing to Pike County PA.

Since I've posted, I've found many of the same census records as you have. Lafayette was probably Lafayette Westbrook Decker, a baker who died in New Windsor, NY. Interestingly, LFW's address in the Newburgh Census is now occupied by what is probably a Mexican bakery.

Lafayette may have had a brother Edward who served 20 years in the army, including two wars.

I've also found that Decker's Ferry seems to be quite close to Dingman's Ferry, and is now part of the Delaware Gap National Park. Unfortunately, I am unfamiliar with the geography in the area as I live in Texas.

Rachel Decker
Posted by: nelsonquick, May 21, 2007, 3:56pm; Reply: 3
i'm trying to find info about " Carrie Decker ". only known info to date is she lived in Matamorse about 1910 to 1930. any and all info to
e-mail hobo632@msn.com
Print page generated: December 17, 2017, 11:53am